Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Something's Smoking!!!

Imagine, sitting on the couch watching The Look for Less (today's episode = de-Jerseying the Jersey Girl), enjoying a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart and morning caffeine intake (a.k.a. Sun-drop), then smelling a putrid, raunchy, burning smell and seeing smoke come from your kitchen. Immediately I think ~

"Oh Lord, the house is going to be engulfed in flames at any second, it's going to explode into one giant ball of fire, I'll narrowly escape and end up on Channel 4 news at noon and I haven't even brushed my hair or teeth this morning!!!"

Luckily, and by the full grace of God, that scenario didn't pan out (I just really have a flare for the dramatic, you should see me tell stories ~ the use of hand motions and facial expressions are FANTASTIC!!!) Instead, I followed the smoke to the dishwasher (fully loaded, gel tab inserted and running b/c I have a husband that isn't afraid to do the dishes). Yes, the dishwasher!!! I cautiously opened the door, (then thought that I should probably have a fire extinguisher in my hands, oh well, the burn unit at Vanderbilt does a good job. I'll take one for the team.) and saw a hole burned into the bottom of the door. Apparently the dishwasher decided he (yes, it's definitely a male!) didn't want to dry dishes anymore and the outer 'heated dry" element was melting the door. Can you say "STINKY"???!?!?! Man, burning plastic smells horrible!

I called Brandon, who is of course out of town, these kinds of things only happen when he's at least two hours away. He immediately says it's a sign from God that he should never do dishes again, (uh... NO!) and feels guilty for turning on the dishwasher (from here on out known as DW, like the little friend on Franklin or Darryl Waltrip the Nascar commentator and previous driver). I try to explain that God's only hand in this is was keeping me safe and giving me an almost insane sense of smell, not that Brandon should refrain from helping out in the kitchen. The kitchen windows are up, the fans are on and I have to call the insurance agency (USAA, they ROCK!), try to find DW's manual and call GE for more information.

All of this and it's only 10:30. Good grief! (insert a Charlie Brown sigh here.)

Tidings of Joy... And safe dishwashing! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second that compliment and up you an "Atta' Girl!" Way to go for saving the house from a dw gone wild Mae!

Anonymous said...

I second that compliment and up you an "Atta' Girl!" Way to go for saving the house from a dw gone wild Mae!

SG said...

I second that compliment and up you an "Atta' Girl!" Way to go for saving the house from a dw gone wild Mae!

SG said...

AAAGGGG Tje blogwart rears his ugly head again! Sorry for the flood of "Atta girls!"

Donna G said...

Great story. But yes make sure your husband understands that the sign is that dishwashing can be dangerous so he MUST do that for you, the weaker vessel! Hey! whatever it takes to keep him doing the dishes.