Saturday, August 07, 2004

Lawn Mower Mae Anne

Today has been one of those days that I wish I could put in a bottle, take out, and re-live all over again any time that I need to. So, I'm putting it here just for that reason.

My husband and I have a wonderful relationship. In fact, we're pretty much both so sarcastic, dumb, and silly, that pretty much any period of time is spent laughing at each other or at people and situations that we deem laughable.

This is our weekend to mow my Gran's yard (she lives in Centertown, which just so happens to be about 2 1/2 hours from us in the Nursery Capitol of the World ~ Warren County, TN). This is the third time this season that Brandon has mowed (or is it mown?), but my first. (Yet another reason that he's so fantastic.) We got up and actually left the house by 8:00, which is a feat in and of itself. Got to Manchester and loaded up B's Dad's John Deere (didn't think our old Murray could handle another round at her place and ours too!) around 10:00 and we're off to mow by 10:30. The ride there, was just so fun, we laughed the entire time (of course one could say we were delirious, but still, we laughed). Here's an excerpt.

Setting: Us in the truck, passing one of many cow pastures.
B: "Mooo, moooo (directed to the cattle, apparently he didn't get this out of his system at 5 years of age). I think we need a pet cow for the back yard. Sassafrass could really use a friend to play with, and I'd never have to mow again."
M: Laughing. "Umm, honey have you ever been around cows before? They're a lot of work, not just fun and tipping while they sleep."
B: "Well, maybe once, at the fair. ..No, not really. I like them but ours won't need work ~ it'll just eat grass and entertain the dog. Besides, we'd get a miniature cow, like the Sheffield (meaning Shettland) Pony, only a Sheffield Cow!"
M: Guffawing. "Ok honey, the next time you come upon a "Sheffield Cow" we'll get it, just to entertain the dog."

How can you not love a man who wants a mini cow?!!!

Then as we got to Gran's I experienced one of the best immediate gratification situations ever: I got to mow on a John Deere lawn tractor!!! Now, if it's something that you've never experienced, please make sure that you do. In fact, we have to mow again in early Oct, so meet us in Centertown and I'll show you the ropes! It was such a smooth, quite, peaceful (except for the grass in the eye bit, not so peaceful...) ride that I literally could have done it all day long. I love immediate gratification, and there's nothing like mowing, painting, or cleaning to get that "Job well done" feeling. It was fun, quick, like mowing w/ a Caddy, and I got to spend time w/ my Gran Gran!

Later we showered at the in-laws, had a great, late, FREE lunch at O'Charley's and then spent a couple of hours visiting w/ my step-mom (Daddy had to work 3:50p.m. til 5:00a.m. at the base, apparently they are testing fighter pilot engines or something top secret like that, so don't tell anyone you know.). Then, on our way home through the beautiful, rolling hills, we witnessed one of the most perfect sunsets in all of creation. Placed there at that moment just for us to enjoy. "How Beautiful!"

A wonderful day, with a wonderful man, visiting our wonderful family ~ not too shabby!

Tidings of Joy... And perfect sunsets! :)

P.S. If you say my name really fast and w/ a country accent, it often sounds like "man" or "my aunt". Yep, my momma cursed me, bless her heart ~ and mine!

P.P.S. Reading back over this makes me sound a bit on the red neck side. Oh well, can't run from my raisin'!!!


3 comments:

SG said...

AND WHO WOULD WANT TO RUN FROM A RAISIN?!!aaaccckkk STUCK ON CAPS CAN'T GET DOWN hhhheeelllpppp!

Donna G said...

While you were out frolicking on a Deere, I was at a lovely family reunion. These are great humbling experiences, just in case you think you are getting a little too high and mighty. I am sure the words "red-neck" would be in our family creed if we had one. Love em', wouldn't have it any other way.

Mowing is that immediate gratification though, isn't it? Must do that more.

Clarissa said...

Mowing? I can't even seem to keep the legs shaved, much less mow. You go, girl!