Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Yet another random glimpse...

Ok, so I know that the Bible is supposed to be very historical and a great educational tool, etc. etc. BUT, I've been reading my way through the O.T.  I think this is the first time I've ever made it all the way to the Song Of Song's/Solomon. Here is where my warped thinking comes in...

It has many similies (I think that's what they are called, wasn't exactly an English pro in school) and likens a woman's breasts to "twin fawns of a gazelle" (ch.4, v.5). Now, I am a pretty big Crocodile Hunter fan, and when I read the gazelle line it just sounded very Steve Irwin to me. I had an incredibly tough time making it through all eight chapters without picturing Steve in the Australian Outback. I literally laughed the entire time!

Another thing that stuck out to me was ch.1, v. 6 "Don't look down on me, you fair city girls, just because my complexion is so dark. The sun has burned my skin..." I guess women have always thought about being tanned in one case or another. Talk about life applications!!!

Tidings of Joy... and Biblical writers with Aussie accents! (Is that wrong to think and blog about?!!) :)



2 comments:

SG said...

This is really eery...Just yesterday I was reading the Song oF Solomon! My thoughts were:
-why are all these people commenting on this conversation between the King and his wife? She is his wife.
-And the dark skin thing...why was the wife of the King having to work in her brothers field?
-How do fawns and breast even vaguly resemble each other?
-wish "well rounded thighs" were back in fashion.
Shallow. Probably. Just didn't get much inspiration from this Song!

Maybe I am a little too literal.

Mae said...

I wonder if it would have made the top 40 of Biblical times? Probably not, although if it did, I think King Solomon was in a boy band and they were a one hit wonder on Casy Casen's countdown!
I laughed about the thighs too. What's the point of this book, maybe God's idea of a joke...???