Thursday, July 01, 2004

Sharing

Well, I've been contemplating whether or not to put this particular subject on my blog. Then, after a bit of thought, I figured it couldn't hurt and may just end up helping... Here goes.
Brandon and I have been trying for 15 months (give or take a few days) to have children. Since we are both in our 20's and relatively healthy, the doctors wouldn't do any testing until we had unsuccessfully reached the one year point. Which was in April. After some testing, I found out that I have something called PCOS (polycistic ovarian syndrome). It bascily means that there are lots of small cysts on my ovaries that keep me from ovulating. Hence, no baby.
After several doctor visits and only having to have two vials of blood drawn, I am on a drug called Provera. It's supposed to force me to ovulate. We get two months on that. (I began the meds this morning.) If we aren't successful then, I go to Clomid. A ferltiry drug that often causes multiples (PLEASE GOD ~ LET IT WORK!). After six rounds of Clomid, if we still aren't pregnant, then the next step (after many more tests and who knows how many vials of blood) is either invitro or adoption.
This is where my husband and I differ on opinion. He feels that invitro is too far, and that there are cold children in other parts of the world that need our warm home and love. I feel that it's my body, and even though I am INCREDIBLY OPEN to adoption, I'd rather have it as a choice, not a force. It's so far down the road that we have agreed not to discuss the matter until we absolutely must. I change my mind ALOT, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
That's my sharing experience for the day. Please keep us in your prayers. I don't know how I'll react physically or emotionally to the medication. Luckily, my husband is incredibly loving, sensitive and caring. He said that if he spends a bit more time on the four wheeler, I'll know that he just needs to get away from everything for a while. He's not too serious about things ~ it helps my stress level to stay low.
Tidings of Joy & Fertility. :)

6 comments:

Serena Voss said...

Hi Mae,

I found you from Mike Cope's blog. I know this is a sensitive time for you and you are in my prayers today.

Hugs, Serena

Clarissa said...

Prayers for you ... I've had several friends with similar problems. Most of those have used Clomid and gotten pregnant quickly. Two have used in vitro successfully, and one of those is now also adopting a baby.

Let me know if you ever need to be put in touch with any of these folks to learn more from Christian families who have dealt with the ethical questions some of this can bring. Hang in there ... don't forget to have fun!

Mae said...

Thank you ladies. It always helps to talk about such heavy issues ~ between friends, fellow bloggers, Christian women and God. I appreciate all that you can offer!

SG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SG said...

I followed the links here from your comment on Mike Cope's blog about your church. From your description I wondered if we went to the same church!! But alas, you are in TN and I am in TX.

I have two children. I had my first at 28. You have plenty of time! Before my second child I had three miscarriages. Finally I was put on Provera to get regular, and Clomid to get pregnant. Neither drug did much to me in the way of negative side affects. I only had to take clomid once. Actually the chances of having twins with clomid are 1 in 25. But the chances of mulitples beyond twins are pretty rare. I also read a book on the suggestion of a friend that really helped me get the fertility thing, and it's not even a book on fertility. Understand, I did not care if we had a boy or girl, but the name of the book is "How to choose the sex of your Baby" You can find it at this link
http://www.babyhopes.com/choosesexofbaby.html) I had already had a baby and I was shocked at how much I learned from this book. 80% of it was about the best ways to get pregnant, without reguard to gender. I will say we tryed the boy methods and had a boy, but I just wanted a baby. The book explains why more couples with fertility issues have boys.
I was blessed in that I was in a young and booming church in DFW area when I was having my babies. There were 25 babies born at our church the year I had my daughter. I have heard almost every pregnancy story and problem in the book as a result of this! Your story reminds me of so many... one friend who is currently pregnant with her third, tried from age 23-27 for her first. Then #2 was an accident because they did not know they could have an "accidental" pregnancy...but both were 100% grateful for the accident. His name is Justin.
It's a roller coaster I know. Just hang in there and don't give up!

Anonymous said...

Followed you here from Clarissa's blog....

I'll be praying that the less invasive procedures work and you're able to experience the joys, and challenges, of parenthood.

One suggestion - if you get to the point of thinking about invitro, realize that the standard procedure is to harvest and then fertilize several groups of eggs. If you happen to get pregnant on one of the first groups, then there are still a lot of fertilized eggs left. What happens then to those little human lives?

This is just something that a lot of couples don't think about before having to deal with it. And it's a lot better to realize the consequences now, before it's too late.

Best of luck with your treatments!

Sozo
www.reasonswhy.org