Monday, July 12, 2004

Aching

Last Wednesday my father-in-law was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphoma Leukemia. Today he is in St. Thomas Hospital in Nashville having fluids put into his body in order to prepare it for chemo tomorrow. He will stay for observation after the chemo treatment, and Lord willing, be released on Wednesday. Then, he'll do it all again in three weeks. Beginning in August, he'll start stem cell replacement at Vanderbilt Hospital. Please keep Ron, Hilda, Brandon, me and the medical staff in your prayers. I pray for a swift remission status, and ease on Ron and Hilda.

Now I must get to work on a ten page term paper for Clinical Intervention. My topic is "counseling the reluctant." Why I chose this, I have no idea. Apparently, I was rather gusto at the time. After the 24th, summer school will be over and I'll have a nice, three week long break. Very much looking forward to that.

Tidings of Joy.

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

I understand the emotions you all must be facing. My grandmother had acute leukemia -- diagnosed two weeks before my wedding. She was 70, and they wouldn't do any radical treatments on her -- bone marrow transplant was the only option other than chemo then. So she did the chemo. It was rough at her age, but gave her several more months with us than she would have had otherwise. I got one more Christmas of her wonderful cooking.
My dad had lymphocytic plasmocytic lymphoma, a rare form. He did great with treatments and lived to enjoy several more very normal years, but I'll never forget the fear of the first few weeks.
Lord, please be with Mae and Brandon and his parents as they begin this journey, and bless Ron's body with strength as he endures these treatments -- and let them work!