Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The "F" word.

No, it's not the massively illegal potty mouth word you are thinking of, instead it's a descriptor for what I did on my first Psycho test. That's right, for the first time since high school, I FAILED a test. We're not just talking missed it by a few points here either. My grade was 2 1/2 points from being the lowest grade in the entire class (FYI, not one person made an A, and the average grade was in the D range. In my best Chandler from Friends immitation, "Could it BE the teaching?!"). Can you say "reality check"??!!!!!! It has seriously made me get into grad student mode. No more goofing off, I'm hitting the books, articles, journals, case studies, and notes and I'm hitting them hard!

I have a friend who has a shop where she makes all kinds of crafty things: candles, soaps, body wash, shampoo, deoderant, baskets, herbs and teas. It's such a neat little place. She even grows her own herbs and spices to make everything with. Yesterday I went to stock up on some more candles, the last one I bought in February just ran out last week. I got an apple cinnamon one that smells divine! Fall is here, inside and out!

Wednesday mornings the ladies at church have a Bible class. I've been going for about a month and it is one of the funniest things I take part in on a regular basis. Out of 15 or so women, I am the youngest by about 40 years. No matter which book we are studying, every verse pertains to (you must say this in your best Scarlett O'Hara /Steel Magnolias / southern bell accent) "These young people today just don't want to work like we did. My grandsons expect to have what we have now right out of high school. It's just pittiful that they don't know how to work in the fields or put up a garden like we did. I'm just afraid of how it's going to be when they have grandchildren." Keep in mind, I am sitting inthe middle of all of these women with a grin on my face... Hello! I keep them on their toes with comments and give them a different perspective of life as a twenty something. It's definitely interesting!

I got a call yesteday about the job. I have been approved of by "the board" and now must go through one more meeting of some other board to make sure that my references check out and that I'm not a past axe murderer or anything like that. That meeting is Oct. 13, and then it looks like I'll be employeed on a full time basis. The timing really works out well, b/c it gets me through mid-terms and a presentation at school. Yea ~ I almost have a job!

That's all the news for now. I have to make notes and a power point presentation for my project on Saturday ~ biological theries of personality, here I come!

Tidings of Joy... and even the "F" word! :)

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Ahh...nothing like the failure of a test to spur you into study mode! At least you aren't in law school where a failing grade on one test would mean you failed a whole course! Sometimes we (I) just need the little push of motivation ....

Congrats on the job!!

Donna G said...

If you would study instead of dissing Steven Segal and Jean Claude over on Mike's blog you wouldn't have that "F" word. But I am glad somebody else likes when Harry Met Sally. I have seen that movie waaaayy to many times.