Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Are socks underwear too?

Lying in bed last night, Brandon and I got into the discussion of whether or not socks are in the underwear family. Here's how the discussion went:

Brandon and Mae lying in bed, temperature set to "perfect sleeping temperature" (70 degrees), the two of us nestled in bed complete with the down comforter and quilt, and my ice cold toes warming between B's warm calf muscles.
B: Why don't you just wear socks to bed to keep your feet warm instead of taking all of my warmth away?
M: Well, a couple of reasons really. 1. The reson couples went from sleeping in seperate twin sized beds to sleeping in one larger bed was to keep the wife warm. Without our living furnaces, we'd all die from hypothermia and there would be no more procreation ~ therefore, in order to keep the world populated, we need to have you by our sides while we sleep. 2. You can't wear socks to bed. They get all uneven in the middle of the night, one falls off and is gone to sock gobblin land and the other one becomes a dust rag. Since I'm not really into dusting, I don't need any extra odd socks lying around doing nothing but taking up drawer space. 3. Socks are an accessory to shoes, if I am only wearing p.j.s to bed and not shoes, there is no need for socks.
B: But socks are considered underwear. You wear them under shoes, so since you wear underwear to bed, you should also be able to wear socks. Besides, they are in the underwear isle at Wal-Mart so they must be considered one and the same.

For the sake of sleep, we decided to agree to disagree, even though I am right. My feet were warmed by his flamingly warm calves and we awoke to a happy morning. So I ask you, where do you stand in the Socks as an accessory v/s Socks as underwear debate? Be sure to back up your answer with completely off the wall reasons.

I am off to attampt to read for tonight's Psycho class. After talking to other classmates, I have learned I am not the only one who was flustered by Egor and his possible list of theraputic treatments.

Tidings of Joy... and warm feet at bed time! :)

8 comments:

Donna G said...

Socks are absolutely accessories. I know this because they are optional.... I choose to only wear them when working out or playing tennis and they ARE NOT appropriate bedtime attire, unless of course you are trying to moisturize your feet and don't want to get the sheets gooey. There are other items some consider underwear that I think are also optional, but if you think of it as "what would your mother think" if you were not wearing them, socks would be the only one classified as accessories....

Anonymous said...

No socks unless you have shoes on! Not even then unless it's dress code at work! Feet are SUPPOSED to be cold!

SG said...

Socks are not underwear! Socks in bed are appropriate in February if you must. Would Brandon wear socks to bed? I think not. :)

Clarissa said...

You wear underwear to bed? :)

SG said...

OVERSHARING ALERT!

Jenni said...

Definitely no socks to bed....and please don't answer Clarissa's question. We all know that you are married and that certain activities are to be assumed....details of those activities are not required! :-)

Mae said...

Y'all are so funny ~ I'm usually the one w/ my mind in the gutter but not this time! No oversharing necessary, we're keeping this a strictly PG rated post! :)

Clarissa said...

Oh, my goodness, relax, people! Couldn't resist.