Saturday, February 26, 2005

Maybe they won't notice that I'm gone...

I've been w/ my nieces, Shelby (8) and Halle (2) all weekend. It's Saturday evening, we've just come in from playing outside, Brandon is watching the girls in the living room and I have retreated to the back bedroom ~ and I'm busted. Ok, that didn't last long. Halle needs to pee so I'll be back.

Alright! No accidents... yet.

I don't know how you ladies do the whole mommy thing 24/7. I am exhausted! And it's only been two days... two long, tiring, stressful and yet wonderful days. Really, has it only been two days?!!

The house looks like a tornado has been through at least twice, clothes are strewn from here to high heaven, dishes are all over the kitchen and I still have to get them bathed, fed, asleep and wake them up for church tomorrw. Seriously, I have a huge newfound respect for ANYONE who can do this and keep their sanity. It's quite a change from my quiet, neat, clean house (I will say that it was spotless before my sister and brother-in-law left on Friday morning) ~ but I love staying w/ them and being "Mimi/Mae Mae/Amy (Huh? I think it's a mix of the first two, though I'm really not sure.)" for the weekend.

A couple of things I've learned since yesterday afternoon when Shelby came home from school.
1. It's ok for them to scream, yell, run, jump, and wrestle as long as everyone is having fun.
2. Crying is acceptable as long as there is a lack of exposed blood, bone, or organs.
3. If they are quiet for more than 5 minutes they are probably doing something illegal.
4. It hurts to see either of them cyring, but if it leads to a nap... well all's fair in love and war, right?
5. My husband has found numerous places to be other than here... how convenient for him, eh?
6. Tomorrow is Sunday ~ praise God for mommy and daddy coming back home!
7. Waking up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning should be illegal ~ esp. when it's to lullay music being played by little hands and accompanied w/ "I want fresh" (meaning frest juice, half juice / half water and two pieces of ice please!).
8. I hear crying so it's time to end this little escpae.

Hope you had an interesting weekend. I'll post pictures of our adventures sometime next week. Till then, Caio.

7 comments:

elizabeth said...

It sounds like you have motherhood down pat! Don't fret about wondering how mommys do it 24/7. God, in his infinite wisdom did not design women to give birth to 2 years olds! He lets you work your way up to it! :)

jettybetty said...

Amen to what Elizabeth said--you don't start with a 2 year old. Also, as much as you love your nieces, you will have a different love for your own--and you will do whatever it takes whenever. You will get tired, really tired sometimes, but I think from listening to you--you are just gonna love it!
JB

Clarissa said...

Yes. Fortunately you'll start with only ONE little baby who will get into NOTHING for a good long while. And you won't be pregnant again for a while, so you'll have more energy than you do now to deal with the "fun"!

Susie said...

Seconding the comments from the other posters. Much different with your own little tiny miracle growing up. And also, with your own 2 y/o, he/she is more accustomed to your own house rules and customs. LOL--not that they will obey all of them, but they will be more used to them than your nieces might be.

Cheers! : )

SG said...

MOTHERHOOD It's the toughest job you'll ever love...and you will do fine! Yeah it will be hard at times, but so worth it! And it is better when they are all yours and you are used to them 24/7. I love this cyberspace view of your life! :)

Beaner said...

A little advice that I learned from a seasoned mom that I now pass on to you: Set an early bedtime & stick w/it! My husband & I can enjoy some free time before bed since our 2 go to bed between 7 & 8 every night. Also, taking a long car ride to get the kids to fall asleep is OK - you won't ruin them! Oh & 1 more thing that other moms might do, but I won't - Don't let them sleep in your bed after age 1-2. Get them used to their own bed & that's where they stay! Mommy & Daddy can come snuggle in their bed, but they can't spend the night in yours! (Morning snuggling is always OK though!) Well....take it or leave it. I can't wait until the little one arrives - it seems like it's been forever & I'm not even the one who's pregnant!

Anonymous said...

I'm just an aunt and my nephews now come apart from one another because they don't want to have to share attention. I've got the older one this weekend... that means no nap! Now I know why my mother made us nap from 2-4 EVERYDAY!