Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Facing a 15 Year Old Fear

When Ron had his stem cell replacement done last week, he was given instructions on what and what not to do. One such instruction was that if his temperature reached 100.5 he was to immediately go to the ER at Vanderbilt (2 whole blocks from where he and Hilda are staying at the Vandy Suites at Morningside). Well, low and behold on day 5 after the replacement his temp got up to 102. Sunday evening he and Hilda spent 6 hours in the ER and he was admitted to the Oncology Floor (Floor 11). Brandon was in Orlando (he'll be home in a few hours ~ I can't wait!) and Hilda didn't want me (though I think she's more concerned about "my grandchild" at this point!) near the germs and I didn't find out that he'd be re-admitted until today. I offered to come and stay w/ Ron or w/ Hilda's mother (who had to have laser eyes surgery today for the second time in two months) and give her a nice break. I was REALLY hoping that Grandma Rachel needed me more than Ron (since he's got nurses and doctors and all that jazz), but Hilda asked if I'd stay w/ Ron for a few hours on Thursday while she gets out and does some "stress relief shopping".

Here is where my fear comes in. I haven't stepped foot into Vanderbilt Hospital in 15 years and 21 days ~ since the day that Momma passed away. For a VERY LONG time it was difficult for me to enter ANY hospital (though my frosh year of College, Jon Owen got me into several for a ministry at Vaughn Park that handed out snack bags to the families in waiting rooms). I'm not looking forward to the smell, those initial steps in, the ride up the elevator, and seeing the spot in front of the huge waiting room that I stood in when I got the news that Mom was gone. So I ask that you pray for me to get through Thursday (and any following visits there), for relief, assurance, and healing for Ron.

9 comments:

elizabeth said...

Prayers for you right now. I can't imagine how hard this will be for you. I am sure you are also extra emotional as you are about to be a mama yourself. I pray that the Lord eases your sorrow.

Susan - said...

Oh, sweet Mae, my thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow. I hope that maybe the anticipation is worse than the reality. Hospitals can change a lot in 15 years, so maybe it will be a different place. I admire you for being willing to face this fear. Strength and prayers for you tomorrow!

Donna G said...

I will pray for you and Ron. Maybe the life that you carry will help bring you a great measure of peace.

Clarissa said...

Oh, sweet girl. I understand. Maybe you can see it all through your all-grown-up eyes now ... it's a sacred place where your mother transitioned from this life into the next. Whenever I'm in almost ANY place where Daddy was during life, it's like it's our little secret connection -- we're there together, only separated by time ... and in God's language, there is no time. Okay, better stop before I cry.

SG said...

I am here also and I am praying for you! Ihope you will be able to make peace with that place. Let us know!

Serena Voss said...

Mae,

Praying for you.....

K said...

Mae,
What a wonderful woman of God! I am holding you up in prayer today.

I pray that He fill you with peace today.

PEACE,
Kim

Susie said...

Wow, Mae. What a loyal, wonderful woman you are to face your own grief head on to help out someone else. Thank you for letting me see Christ in you.

Praying that the Holy Spirit fills you with comfort and love today. Take comfort in the little part of your family that you carry within you. It helps. : )

Jenni said...

Thought about you and Ron today....how did it go?