Sunday, November 21, 2004

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Was John Lennon really the greatest rock and roller of all time? On our drive back from the Big Easy today, I heard that he was. In this song to his son Sean (which Celine Dion has done a beautiful cover of, funny faces, accent and all), he makes such a profound statement about life. Are we really so busy doing everything that we let it slip silently away? Ok, deep thought section over.

Mae is back to her old self. Thank you all for the comments, prayers, and e-mails last week. (I honestly don't think I have ever been so ready for a week to come to its end, praise God for passing time!) Brandon and I just got back from New Orleans, where we were visiting w/ my FU roomie and her family ~ Netta, Jared and Kaleb (along w/ her crazy dad, mom, brother, mawmaw, and pops). It was so wonderful and relaxing.

The reason for the trip was a Jewelry Shoe at the Convention Center ~ complete bliss!!! I racked up on some sweet Christmas gifts and also some fantastic rewards for myself (Louis Vuitton and Coach handbags and wallet, yummy! Knock offs, but the ole wallet isnt' bare after those purchases! We are SOO making this a tradition ~ the guys played golf, we shopped, ate fantastic Cajun seafood, got lost in the ghetto, saw some homeless people, drove by the levee (btw, it wasn't dry), saw the movie Elf ~ too funny!, and had lots of good old friend time. Just what I needed!

Gran's house is still a work in progress. They had a heck of a time getting the linoleum up, apparently my uncle put it down w/ tar. Part of the sub-flooring had also been eaten away by termites, they were still working on putting down the hardwood floors at 7:00. The new GE frig from Sears (and now K-Mart?) is being delivered at 11:00 tomorrow morning, so I hope the floor is finished by then. Gran will be released some time early this week. I hope and pray that it isn't until Tuesday or Wednesday, still lots to chuck and burn and we just won't be able to if she's there. God has answered so many prayers in this area already ~ it's all going to be fine, it's just a bit more than we had anticipated.

I have all week off from school ~ definitely something to be thankful for! Just one little paper to turn in, a project on how to give workshops (any info would be GREATLY appreciated) and a take home final and my days at FHU will come to an end. And it's all going to be fine ~ I'm glad B and I were able to make the decision, it still aches a bit, but I have so much less stress it's just plumb amazing! My new semester at Southern Christian starts January 10 ~ it'll be here b4 I know it!

I'll get to see my sweet babies this week (Halle wanted to talk to her "Meme" early on Thursday morning, but that mean old mommy thought it was too early ~ hello ~ is it EVER too early to hear a precious niece blabber into the phone?!!! I think NOT!), go early bird shopping w/ my sisters on Friday, celebrate my husband being on earth for three decades, and look towards heading into the late 20's (my 26th) just a few days later (Dec. 1). After that, I have two nieces who will turn 2 and 5, a step mother who will turn 40, Christmas, New Years and goodness knows what else! So many blessing, so much to be thankful for. Praise God for seeing the mountain's top after an exhausting treck through the valley!

Tidings of Joy... and seeing people shop and drink hard liquor at the same time ~ only in New Orleans!!!! :)

P.S. Massive awakening this weekend. I really thought that my southern accent had slipped to a non-accent, but after being submerged into crazy Cajun land, it made a surprising come back ~ southern roots to the end!

6 comments:

Donna G said...

Thanks for the birthday greeting, and to answer your question NO WAY is John Lennon the greatest rock and roller of all time, yes he is good but what about
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Molly Hatchett
The Eagles
The Rolling Stones
REM
U-2
The list goes on and on....

Mae said...

Ummm, who is Molly Hatchet? To the others I say YES!!!

Anonymous said...

WHO is Molly Hatchet? Mae, Mae, Mae, - I hate feeling this old.

I'm glad y'all had a fun weekend. What kind of workshop do you have to write about?

Did I ever mention www.lifelinesys.com to you? It's the "I've fallen and I can't get up" system. We promote it at the hospital. It would be great for your grandmother.

Mat Brewster said...

Alright, I usually don't comment on your board, but I gots to throw down here...

Firs of all John Lennon is not the greatest rocker because that title belongs to the whole of the Beatles. Lennons solo stuff pales in comparison, although Plastic Ono Band is pretty classic. Second of all the Eagles? Puhlease. Decent musicians, fair song writers but not in the same league as the Beatles. I got tired of the Eagles after high school. The majority of their songs just don't hold up after so many years.

Lynard Skynard? Not a chance. I dig some southern rock and these guys did that very well, but their music as a whole just don't hold up to the Beatles.

The Stones, REM and U2 are more in the same league, but still don't cut it in my opinion. No doubt they all wrote some fantastic songs and have made stellar albums, but I think the Beatles have them beat in terms of influence, style, and output.

Go listen to Revolver or Abbey Road again and be blown away.

Not that your not entitle to your own opinion. It's just late and I'm feeling a little boisterous.

SG said...

SOOO glad you had a great weekend. One great weekend really does make a difference doesn't it? More later!

Serena Voss said...

I hope you have a good break over Thanksgiving. Would love to hear your paper on workshops.

I don't know who is the most popular rock star, either, but the current favorite former manager of a group at our house is a guy named Steve who used to be with the ZZ Top. He is spending a lot of time with a close member of the family. I have never listened to their music, and don't particularly want to. But Steve has brought a lot of joy to one very special person in my life. : )