Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Book Review

In the spirit of Matt Elliott, I thought I'd give a glimpse into the current book I am reading. It's called We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle written by Celia Rivenbark. Here is an excerpt that made me snort (I'm ok w/ who I am, snorting is part of me, take it or leave it!)...

How to be a Hands-On Parent Using Field Trips, Dead Butterflies, and Beefaroni

On day four [of her five years old's kindergarten year], I got a mean look from a skinny woman wearing a Greenpeace T-shirt and I knew she was cheesed because I was sitting in the carpool line, AC cranked up on high, reading People magazine and eating God knows how much ozone. Oh, sue me. The carpool line is the most fabulous "me time" I've had in five years. You're doing something useful and important, but you're all alone, icy air blasting, diet Coke in hand, and a terrific article about how much Brad Pitt likes mission-style furniture just waiting to be devoured. Life is good...

The truth is, I honestly like kindergarten, and not just for the Beefaroni. My favorite part? The communication via backpack thing. It's so efficient. Class pictures or T-shirts or announcements or report cards are sent home in the backpack: payment or comments or signatures are sent back the same way. Sort of like some wonderful Pony Express only with Powerpuff Girl saddlebags.

The whole thing makes me think that we should all communicate via backpack in this great nation using sweet little flower shaped notes.

Bush to Saddam: "Do you like me? Check one, yes or no."

Don't thank me now. Just send me that Korbel Peace Prize.



1 comment:

Susan - said...

I am thinking this is a book I need to read. Thanks for the excerpt.