Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The Amish sleep in the nude and other things I've learned at church...

I have indeed been learning interesting things from the ladies at our Ladies Bible Class. As mentioned before, I am the youngest LBCer by about 40 years. Usually after the class is over a group will go to luch at Dutch Country and then go visiting the shut-ins, shopping, or just galavant around the Ethridge community (It has a general store, some Amish shops and a bus stop ~ so galavanting doesn't really take that long!)! Today some of the girls decided that they wanted to visit an Amish lady who sells herbal supplements in order to get healthy. (The health kick usually lasts at least two days before it is decidedly unrealistic or causes problems with the other medications that these ladies take.) Today the goal was for a "system clean out," so we went to the place and got the stuff, got to go in two Amish homes (one of which was preparing for a wedding and serving all 160+ guests two full course meals). The largest difference in the Amish homes and my own little place is the absence of bathrooms, color and decorations, and the presence of barefooted and pregnant young women, pumps for water, chickens roaming in the yards, lawn mowers like the Bradys' used, iron stoves like you would see on an episode of Little House on the Prairie, lots of beds, and very long tables to seat large families (like on the Waltons). It was interesting and incredibly informative! I'd've taken pictures, but our digital camera is in China on loan to one of Brandon's friends, and they won't let their pictures be taken ~ can't remember the reason.

The Amish also sleep in the nude. I know this b/c we have a blood drive at church every other month (which I keep meaning to participate in, but always forget about) and of course, with every pint of blood you give, your reward is some juice, a cookie, and a t-shirt. Well, the Amish are big contributers, but they won't take the t shirt (b/c of their lack of color and all that jazz). When one of the ladies said, "Here, take it, you can sleep in it or something." One of the men (named Corneilous, Neil for short) said, "Umm, well miss, if we slept in clothing, I'm sure it would come in handy." Just imagine the buzz that got going in the little circle! Ahh, priceless!!!

I'm glad this election stuff is over with. Anon person from Monday, glad you're enthusiastic about the fact, but there is a difference in having an opinion and forcing it on others.
Steph, thank you for taking the big sister role in things, and Brew, welcome to the blog family. Brew is an ol' pal from the Faulkner U days who is currently living in France with his wife Amy. Check out his space in blogland.

I got over the Psycho test on Tuesday night ~ whew! It paid off to have studied so intently for a week and a half. There were a few multiple choice questions that I was on the fence about the answer, but I definitely exhausted every aspect in the essays. I know I didn't fail, hoping for an A, expecting a B, and will even be content w/ a C (depending on how strict she is w/ the essay part). I do know that I passed it though! Now I have to focus on studying for a final on Saturday morning (we get to make out the test in this class, it's just a matter of finding the answers and committing them to memory) and write a ten page paper on a disorder for Monday. The paper is only worth 25 points, so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

In the career area, things aren't looking so well. I got a call Monday saying that the board who decides who can and can not be hired (bascially, the people who pay TennCares bills) declined all four people on the basis of lack of experience (yep, makes sense, all I have is the educational aspect). Then I got another call today saying that that decision was being appealed and that I may have a chance. I did find a part time discharge/social work postion at Maury Regional (pronounced Murry Reejnul), it's only two days per week which sounds much more appealing to my lazy bum!

Lots going on here ~ my life almost sounds exciting on paper, the reality seems so much the opposite!

Tidings of Joy... and naked (pronounced nekkid) snoozing Amish! :)

3 comments:

Clarissa said...

Yup, I shoulda been Amish. (insert sneaky grin)

Mae said...

Well Zack, I believe in God b/c of the uncontested love He has for each and every person on His earth. He sent His own son to die for me and everyone else that has or ever will exist. By studying the Bible, I have learned that there were others who have had similar and much more extreme problems and concerns that I can or will ever imagine and God lead them through each one. Most of all, our lives are a gift in which we have the choice to believe in God, His Son, His love and His Grace and probclima that to others around us. I have chossen to and hopefully I'll have an eternal life in Heaven when this world comes to an end. Until then, I will pray for you and others who may feel similarly to the way that you do. You are very young and possibly have yet to experience what life is about (not that I have really experienced all that much myself), but I do hope that as you mature,you'll see that we are indeed in need of His grace to help us out along the way. Blessings to you!

Mat Brewster said...

Thanks for the warm welcome Mae. I'd comment on the nude sleeping, but well we never did know each other THAT well! Pay no attention to that Zach fellow, he's just a troll looking to incite.