Tuesday, July 05, 2005

49 Days & Counting...

Seven weeks from today is Hadlee's due date. Last week at my doc's appointment I asked if there was a chance of my due date being moved up since she's measuring on the large side. Nope, apparently if the date is getting moved, it will be further away in order for her lungs to have more time to develop... my balloon of hope was quickly deflated! After next week's appointment I'll be in the office every week until Little Bit gets here ~ frightening and exciting all at the same time!!!

Brandon and I went to Mass on Sunday to celebrate the Christening of his cousin, Johanna. It was my first Catholic experience and I must say it was very interesting and confusing (not to mention the work out from sitting, standing and kneeling so much!) all at once. I was very engrossed in what was happening, the replies of the congregation back to the priest, the children running around, the lack of dress on many women, the absence of Bibles of any sort, the repetitiveness of having the same service each week for a year... basically the whole kit and kaboodle. I was going to participate in communion if B's family did (which they didn't) UNTIL this one particular moment... a lady, probably in her mid 50's sitting two rows ahead of us stuck her thumb up her nose, examined it's contents and then decided they were worthy of ingestion. She did this not once, but TWICE!!! Oh, holy Mary mother of Jesus these people drink after each other!!!!!!!!!!! Buick maguick!!! There was no way on the face of this green earth that I was going to drink from the same cup that she did (and really, what's the point of wiping the rim when it's just spreading germs around more than once?!) . I almost had a come-apart at that time ~ it was BAD! I was trying to figure out a way of avoiding the cup part (and at the same time was incredibly appreciative that we don't do the whole one cup deal!) when my mom-in-law said, "It's ok for us to just sit and observe at this point." Thank you Lord!

That was what really stuck w/ me from my first Mass experience. Johanna was Christened in the fountain ~ not sprinkled, but immersed butt naked up to her neck into a fountain that people then put their hands into and touched to their faces ~ hello babies pee in there! It was really neat, but bogger lady ruined a good bit of it... not to mention my anal-retentive-germ-o-phoebe-ness kicking into high gear. If I'd had my anti-bac wipes with me I'd've been handing them out right behind the alter boys! :)

Yesterday we had a wonderful Fourth celebration which included a cook out at my sister's house w/ all the siblings, nieces, nephew and friends, lots of fireworks, a few burnt hands and my husband catching on fire (just a small one though ~ it left a dime sized hole in his $4 Old Navy flag tee). All in a day's work...

Now I'm working on more school stuff and trying to actually get caught up. Last week I just thought about getting there, this week I'm actually doing it ~ shocking I'm sure...

6 comments:

BabyJ20 said...

Oh my word, Mae, that IS completely attrocious... and to think that I'm all "health concious" about even so much as touching or scratching any part of my face. (God, bless the man who invented communion trays and the cups that fit in them, Amen)

Well, I'm glad you had a good fourth and are getting excited about little Hadlee!!

Abby said...

Wow, I've attended a good number of masses and sung in a few, and I've never experienced anything quite as vile as what you just described. All my cousins are intense Catholics and I always have to go to mass when I'm staying with them. Myself, I go to a baptist church with my friends and without my parents.

SG said...

HA! You crack me up. I guess they think if Jesus can wash away sins then germs don't stand a chance??? Who knows! As for the dresses. Sunday in church I noticed that of my 7 female family memebers there, none were in a dress or skirt! We have coma along way Baby! Capris were the order of the day apparently. Frankly I Am glad we have gotten to the point where casual dress is OK for Sunday...it isn't supposed to be a fashion show.:)

Mae said...

It wasn't a lack of dresses, but a lack of material. I am ALL about being comfortable and casual but when more skin is showing than is "modest" I was RATHER taken aback! Knees, thighs, cleavage, and more were making their presence known to the entire population of St. Stephen's! Cheerleader's uniforms ain't got nuttin' on these gals.

BabyJ20 said...

Sounds like they rivaled the chic I saw on "I Want to Be a Hilton" last night... she was leaving... I wasn't upset...

elizabeth said...

I think it would be hard to focus on communion! I am sure that God understood you refraining from imbibing.

I wonder what that woman was thinking? I can't imagine reaching a point where I didn't care that people around me could witness me in so vile a circumstance!