Sunday, July 24, 2005

Seeking Mommy Advice


I came home from church this afternoon w/ roughly three loads of laundry to do for Hadlee! The last and largest shower was held by the church ladies (not to be confused w/ the Chruch Lady from SNL) and the smocked dresses and cutsie little things are just delicious. I do, however, need your advice on the blanket deal. How many blankets (receiving, fleece, thermal, afghans, etc.) does one child really need? I'm not asking this in a sarcastic manner, but I REALLY would like to have a ball park figure. I haven't counted exactly the number we have, but I'm quite sure that it's over 10 and less than 20. Other than having lots of warmth and providing great fort and tent building materials, are they really that vital to a baby's existence?

Also (Men, I do here by apologized if you read the following paragraph ~ feel free to skip to the end of this post from this point), I asked my doctor about nursing things and she recommended a certain brand of pump, but not bottles or various assunderies (I don't know if assunderies is really the correct word to use here, but I felt like using it. I mean, how often do you get to use the word "assunderies"?). If you have recently breast fed and used a pump (cuz, they kind of go hand in hand, correct?) would you kindly give a thumbs up for the brand? Did you rent it from the hospital or shell out the $319 for it at Motherhood Maternity?

Ok, I think that's about it for the questions for tonight. I'm sure that many more will pop into my head, probably about bathroom break #3 at roughly 4:37a.m. I'll update things then...

Happy (Manic) Monday


5 comments:

BabyJ20 said...

I don't have a clue as to a number... I'd just go with the ones that you think you'll actually use or can't bear to part with. I guess it's sort of like how many coats or how many shirts is too many? How do you even begin to start to figure out criteria?!

Donna said...

I have the Medela pump in style (older model) and love it! It's quick and easy to use. How long you decide to nurse, more children, etc. would be your best guide for buying or renting.
Bottles: I used Avent with my 1st...hated them. They leaked terribly. With my 2nd (3 months old now), I've used the Playtex bottles with the natural latch nipples. The drop-ins are convenient and there is less to wash! He's done great going back and forth between nursing and the bottle. Feel free to email me if you have more specific questions that might now be "blogging material."
dkrite3@yahoo.com

Mae said...

Thank you! I counted and the exact total # of blankets is officially 28 if I keep the 4 that are iffies. Then again, 4 blankets probably = at least two packs of diapers, huh? Grrr... I hate making decisions.

Donna thank you! Madela was what my doc recommended and the future children and career things are definitely a factor in the decision. I think we'll probably see how the first few days of nursing work out and go from there. I'll definitely e-mail you w/ more questions as they come along though! :)

elizabeth said...

I used blankets more than I thought I would. Especially Gymboree blankets, they are definitely the best. You will use them to swaddle her in the beginning, and then she will use them as a comfort to her when she is about Mary Beth's age. She loves blankets. I used them more with the boys as they were winter babies. You might have a winter baby as well someday so it might be a good idea to hang on to most of them.

I have nursed all of my babies and wasn't a huge pump fan. I just didn't leave them long enough to need to pump. I did occasionally use the avent hand pump which did "the job" quickly.

I agree with the other commenter about Playtex bottles. They are cheaper and you will eventually buy their little juice bottles which are compatable with the Playtex nipple. (Man I hate that word).

Hope that helped!

MDM said...

Don't know if you will come back to this and check comments, but don't rush into pumping...it will make you produce more milk than necessary. At the beginning you just want to establish what Hadlee needs and not bunches more....of course I was a milk manufacturing plant with way too much going on. I learned this with my first and steered clear of the pump on my second at first. Hope my tid-bits helped, but I am no expert. (only expert on Rachel and Zoe!)