Monday, June 13, 2005

They Dance in the Kitchen

Throughout my childhood, my parents always held hands, kissed, and danced (yep, you read that correctly, they danced!). With four children in the house, they knew how to keep the romance alive in their marriage. Although he had to over come his wife's death, Daddy found another woman with whom he could dance in the kitchen, with only the music of voices and sounds of nature as their melody... and I am so thankful that he was given such a wonderful gift; not once, but twice in his life.

Today is Gary Lynn "Butch" McCullough's 50th birthday. For half a century he has brought smiles and laughs from those around him. He can play hard ball with the best of them, but Daddy is a softie at heart and it is shown in the way he treats everyone he comes into contact with, but especially his family.

He has shown my siblings and I how to live, love and laugh. But more importantly, how to be a child of God and admit our imperfections (if only when absolutely necessary!). His influence in my life is very evident ~ besides that fact that I am his spitting image (minus the bald head and full beard and mustache).

I love you Daddy and I am so grateful to have you in my life.

Always,
Your Baby Girl

2 comments:

Donna G said...

It is my Mom's birthday too! Tell your dad Happy Birthday. Sounds like a special guy!

Serena Voss said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dad! Better than any card!

When you have someone to dance with, every day and every birthday is a celebration.

People keep asking me if I am dreading the big Five-O. I just smile.