Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Life is in the details, not the parachute.

More than just about any other saying, I firmly believe that life is definitely in the details. I love details about absolutely everything. I mean EVERYTHING! (Unless it's my grandmother describing what she ate for supper three nights ago for the fifth time in one phone conversation, then I'm not so appreciative of them.) The good thing about seeing, knowing and understanding the details is that there is little room to be un-prepared for any (detail) given situation. I am SO INTO DETAILS, that I asked my ob/gyn for a c-section so that I could be fully prepared and know exactly when HAH is coming into the world ~ she laughed and said "Umm, no!" If you are around many men you probably know that most of them could give a flitter about details. One such man is my husband, bless his heart.

Unfortunately, men run the course of our life right now. Every person who is higher in the GE food chain and has a remote in-site to our future, just isn't too detail oriented. What we do know is this: Brandon has a job through the end of September and probably will continue w/ the company after that date. As of now, his boss has his eye on two very different places. One is the North Carolina job (we would probably live in South Carolina ~ one of the guys B works w/ said it's much less expensive, just as nice as Asheville, and only 30 minutes away) and the other is right outside of Atlanta. The girl who has rather strong opinions and hates, detests, can not stand curvy roads, hills, or mountains, just isn't all that excited about living in a very curvy, hilly, mountainy area (when the interstate speed limit is 50 b/c of natural terrain I tend to have panic attacks). This job would be wonderful for B's career and we are told we'd be there for at least 5 years (Holy crap ~ Hadlee will be in Kindergarten in 5 years ~ someone give me a paper bag and tell me to breathe ~ not easy to think about!!!) My brain is having a hard time thinking now, I'll try to continue... The Atlanta job would be more of a lateral slide in the career area. BUT, as we all know, it's not located in the mountains and if you go 50 on any road you will shortly meet your maker. Nascar's got nuttin' on Atlanta highways! Also, Atlanta is only 3 hours from home and we know people there, while NC / SC is 5 - 6 hours depending on who is doing the driving and we know no one in that area. Both are in a different time zone ~ I'll not go into how much that messes w/ my mind right now. We probably won't know until June or even later when or where we'll be moving east. If you'll remember, HAH will be here in August... at least, that's what we're counting on.

If you read paragraph one, you will notice that I'm BIG on details. In paragraph two, there is a large lack of them. Yep, it's not really my kind of thing, but if I have learned anything at all in life, it's that all things will work out in the end (if I knew exactly which "things" these were and when exactly they would "work out" I'd be much more at ease, but ya know how that goes). I seriously think God was bored and needed to laugh so He decided Brandon and I should have to manage our lives in a different manner. He better be getting some good guffaws in is all I have to say about that!

Boxes are slowly being packed and moved to storage in Manchester. Leaving is sad, but being there is going to be so much fun (once the boxes are un-packed)! We are going to miss our church here dearly. (Speaking of church, they are giving us two showers and one going-away party next week ~ FUN!!!) But since my doc's office is only half an hour away I'm going to try to make the appointments on days that social activities are happening and just make myself at home w/ my retired friends.

Changes, details, imagining having a 5 year old... it's a bit much for now, but that's what's going on. Stability seems to have disappeared. God is providing us w/ a parachute. It's not necessarily cute, nor does it match my purse and shoes, but it is a parachute none the less. All we can do is trust in Him, jump, and enjoy the ride down. (If only I knew when the ride was going to be and where we would land...)

4 comments:

SG said...

Bless your heart! Laughing, crying, WOW! Much to think about. But if you moved to Atlanta you could be near Matt Elliot and Jon O again... Does that help?
I have a friend who lives in South Carolina and loves it. At least both options are still in the south so little HAH will be a southern gal no matter what! :) Hope the details make themselves known soon... And nice try with the OB...very few are going to OK an elective C-section on a first time Mom! Maybe you can get her to agree on a date to induce if nature hasn't done it's thing. I think knowing a date is very reassuring.

Donna G said...

Maybe God wants you to trust him a little more....


Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I know that is easy for me to say! Hope you get some satifactory detailed answers soon!!

Karen said...

OH how I can relate!! The military life has led us to many moves not of our own decision/volition, and I spend hours trying to plan which location I would prefer; where we could go to church; where we can shop...

I'm a little jealous of your option of Atlanta; I *know* you'll find a great church family there.

Susie said...

Kind of scary, isn't it--to realize that you are on God's slide, headed to unknown destinations. Maybe it gives us some inspiration to how Abraham felt with his nomadic life.

Just a thought . . .
: )