Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Dreams

Last night Brandon told me of a news story where a local couple had to deliver their child in the car en route to the hospital. Apparently this bothered me some what on a sub-conscious level, as I dreamed the following.

It was a hot Tennessee summer evening. Brandon and I were hosting a BBQ for some friends and family members. He and the others are outside chit-chatting away and I'm in the hallway cramping and feeling a bit out-of-sorts. I sit down on the guest bed, (which if you know me, sitting on a made bed is definitely an unpardonable sin) reach down and deliver a baby boy... a boy? A BOY??!??!! It's a BOY??? What happened to my sweet little girl? What in the world am I going to do w/ a boy? I'm not prepared for a boy! AARRGH!!!! In walks my sister and niece all excited about me delivering a baby and not having a mess of any kind to clean up. I hand Lynette the baby and run out to get Brandon. He gets all perturbed b/c I interrupted his conversation (if you know him at all, you know he just doesn't get perturbed at anything). I"m crying hysterically over delivering A BOY and he could care less. He has guests to entertain and I had sat down on the bed for crying out loud! My sister calls the doctor who appears at the house and says "Congratulations on your son. What are you going to name him?" I let out a blood curdling scream and the dream pans to a beautiful sunset.

That's what I call messed up! For the love... I can't handle too many more of these. I'll be a nervous wreck by the time we reach the hospital (an hour and a half drive from the house in Manchester ~ let's think about that at a later date!). Just thought I'd share that little tid bit. Not much else to blog about. Getting boxes packed and working on summer school.

By the way, the next time I decide to have a child while in grad school please remind me of the pocket protector wearing professor from Nebraska and I'll definitely change my mind! Holy Moses, how in the world am I supposed to "think scientifically, academically, and critically about marriage and family development" when I can't even decide what to fix for supper?!!!

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

All three pregnancies, I had dreams that I was having the opposite of what I knew to be true. I think it is your minds way of preparing just in case!

I also had dreams that I was pregnant in college going through rush. So silly...

K said...

I'm not pregnant but I just dreamt that I was a surrogate for my sister-in-law who had a "hostile" usterus (what the heck is that anyway). The very next day she told me she reduced the number of kids she wants from 7 to 4. I was actually relieved! Hello, I was a dream! They are in the process of building a bigger house so I can finally be an auntie. I would surrogate all 7 for her if she needed me to but I'd much rather she get the stretch marks and saggy boobs herself.

Aren't dreams funny.

SG said...

When pregnant with Kolby I had a dream that I had a puppy instead of a baby. I also had a dream that I took the baby out of my belly button to see what it was (girl or boy) and couldn't get it back in! AND in my haste I forgot to notice the sex!
Prego dreams are crazy. I don't remember anything too strange with Rhett...but I think I have had Mommy alheimers since his birth. Really, you have to write all this stuff down so you don't forget.