Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Terrified beyond belief

Last night was a horrowing experience that I pray we never have to live through ever again. Hadlee has been teething for going on three weeks. When she teeths she cuts a minimum of 4 teeth, sometimes gets an ear infection and always runs a fever, and it lasts for what seems to be ever! I was in the Boro at an Arbonne training and got a text from B asking me to call him. HAH wasn't feeling well when I left, slight fever, but doing ok. When I talked to him he was concerned and on his way to my parents w/ her ~ temp 99, snoring w/ eyes open, in and out of it and then sleeping very soundly. I told him not to worry, everything sounded normal, she'd had a rough day, etc. Fast forward to 12:41am. We're all sleeping after the tornadic winds and storms came through (all's well 'cept for one little magnolia). I'm in bed w/ all of my pillows (6 to be exact) and B and HAH are in the living room on the couch and big chair / ottoman. I hear Hadlee making a choking type noise and ask B if she's ok. We both race to her and she's having a febrile seizure ~ complete convulsions, eyes rolled back into head, no color, non responsive, fever (102.7) ~ SCARRY. It's litterally the most freightening thing we've ever seen in our short time as a family. I call 911 while he dresses to see what we should do. The operator is doing her best to calm me down and get me to make the decision to either wait for an ambulance or for us to take her to the hospital... HELLO! I'm 28 years old, 37 weeks pregnant and my 19 month old is having seizures, white as a ghost, and completely unresponsive ~ can you PLEASE make the decision for me???? We get in the Expedition and head off, closest hospital is 5 miles away... not the best care, but still, it's a hospital. B is actually DOING THE SPEED LIMIT!! GO FASTER! I call my parents (did I tell you I'd been having regular contractions for several hours and that Jack's bag is packed? They finally stopped around 4:30 this morning.) who come and pray, sing, and help pacify Hadlee.
We are all there for a little less than 3 hours. It takes Hadlee a while to respond to anything... finally they do a Tylenol enema and that makes her cry.... THANK YOU LORD!!! MY BABY IS CRYING! They do numerous tests, x-rays, poking, prodding, and give an overall thorough exam. Doc says it's an ear infection and gives her a shot and anitbiotic and we go home. Follow up w/ pediatrition this morning who does much more testing... including a cathetor ~ not Hadlee's favorite thing and gives us more statistics than we ever imagined. He was great. HAH does NOT have an ear infection, but white counts are high, must follow up on Friday morning. Give us a NEW antibiotic and tells us to throw the other one away and to keep a close eye on her and to treat fever immediately w/ meds. (I'm just not sure I could do the Tyelnol enem thing. )Turns out B and his mom both had seizures as well and it's definitely an inherited gene. She has a 33% chance of having another one. They are not know to cause any brain damage or affect children in any developmental way and will stop sometime b/t the ages of 5 and 7.
All the clothes an objects that entered the hospital have been through the washer or diswasher and HAH is playing downstairs w/ her Daddy. We've all had a rough day and are trying to re-coup. Keep us in your prayers!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it's too late to back out on the new baby, huh?

I'm so happy that little HAH is better... You did much better than I would've done!

Donna G said...

Bless your heart...you have my prayers...all of you!

SG said...

That is terrifying!!! {SP?} I'm shocked it didn't send you nto labor! Rest well and keep an eye on that kidney infection thing...I too started having high fever, seisures and the like and ended up having horrible reflux at 18 months. Just watch her! And rest will you!!!

Beaner said...

SO glad she is OK......that IS scary! My daughter gets high fevers all the time (like 103) but it's "normal" for her.

I can't wait to see new baby pics soon. (But keep him cooking a little bit longer, OK?)

elizabeth said...

Oh, Mae. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. I second Stephanie's comment. ME started her reflux at 18 months. She would have high fever then it would go away. Have your doctor check that one. Blessings to you all.

Kevin Farrar said...

on my knees........

Jenni said...

somehow I lost your link....just now catching up.....

I had febrile convulsions when I was little too -- I'm sure it was absolutely terrifying for you, but I'm so so glad that HAH is doing much better now.