Thursday, November 17, 2005

Not so green...

I have such a rough life...
Daddy likes to put things on my head and see how long they will last... my paci lasted a little less than 3 minutes... Daddy was impressed and I was just giddy!

Don't you just love my cow jammies??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I released a TON of aggression... that happened to end up on one of my student's behinds. Let me just tell you, it was a near zen experience.

I don't know how any of you feel about corporal punishment. Obviously I'm not against it in any way, shape, form or fashion. Being in the south, I do think it's quite common... and working in a junior high school I also think it's quite necessary... especially when we are having to step in to the role that so many "parents" aren't fulfilling. (NOT to say that paddling is the answer, but that at times it definitely makes a positive difference when used correctly ~ go off on a tangent if you feel the need to do so.)

Just so you know, he received 3 licks while my principal and assistant principal looked on... and I received tips, guidance, a pat on the back, chocolate and a friend to cry w/ when it was over. Yes, I cried... well my eyes got a little watery and then five minutes later when I was correcting him for the eighteenmillionth time I was sorry about that watering.

I love the team of people that I work with. Supportive, funny, encouraging and fun... sure we're not perfect, but we stick together and show a common front.

BTW... remember to stand back in the box, keep a straight wrist, and position them well.

_______________________

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only got one - in the sixth grade for climbing a tree. My mother worked at the school so they sent me to her afterward (you know what happened) then when my dadddy got home it happened again. It's only been recently that I started climbing trees again! :)

Donna G said...

Now, that would be the only reason I would want to be a teacher! Today I envy your job!

Beaner said...

I am surprised that they let you still do that in schools today. I thought all that was outlawed. Maybe it's a Southern thing? It's definately not allowed around here.

BabyJ20 said...

Last I knew in AL, you had to have written permission from the student's parent(s) for corporal punishment. I'm glad it wasn't too traumatizing an experience, Mae, and maybe it'll make and impact at some point.

SG said...

No spankings in Texas anymore. Many feel thatthe end of corpral punishment was the start of the decline in education, the mass exodus of people from the teaching prifession, and the beginning of the awful attitudes and discipline problems we see today!

Hope it helps this young guy.

jettybetty said...

I don't think they allow spankings in our school district! Do you think it improved the student's behavior at all?

Keep the pics of Hadlee coming! What a life!

elizabeth said...

Hadlee is getting so big! What a sweetie!

Kevin Farrar said...

Mae - I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving!! I'm sure Hadlee made the day for everyone!!

Kevin

Susan - said...

I taught high school for one year, in Warren, Arkansas. They believed in corporal punishment (maybe still do). I cried the first time I had to "paddle" someone too. It shook me up. I got over it though. Hang tough.

Cute pics by the way.