Thursday, February 16, 2006

You're a true Tennessean if...

1. You can properly pronounce Ooltewah, La Vergne, Etowah and Maryville.
2. You think people who complain about the heat in their states are sissies.
3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
4. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.
5. Stores don't have bags or shopping carts, they have sacks and buggys.
6. You've seen people wear bib overalls at weddings and funerals.
7. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
8. You measure distance in minutes.
9. You go to the lake because you think it is like going to the ocean.
10. You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.
11. You know cowpies are not made of beef.
12. Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.
13. You know someone who has a belt buckle bigger than your fist.
14. You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, beer, and bait all in the same store.
15. A Mercedes Benz isn't a status symbol. A Chevy Silverado Extended Bed Crew Cab is.
16. You know everything goes better with Ranch.
17. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.
18. You actually get these jokes and are "fixin'" to send them to your friends.
And finally: 19. You are 100% Tennessean if you have ever had this conversation: "You wanna coke?" "Yeah." "What kind?" "Dr Pepper."

9 comments:

Donna G said...

Yeah, except for 1 and 3??(funnel) these also apply to ALABAMA!!

Karen said...

That's what I was thinking, Donna! Of course, I heard lots of folks in NW Florida calling shopping carts "buggies" as well... but everyone knows the panhandle of FL is nothing but LA (Lower Alabama).

And I always like to go out looking for the funnel cloud when there's a tornado warning... doesn't matter what state I'm in!

elizabeth said...

I have seen this before for Texas as well! Except #1. How do you pronounce those?

My relatives from New England laugh at the fact that I call all soft drinks "coke".

Very cute.

Beaner said...

This has been VERY informative for me. If you think the OPPOSITE of every statement, then you'll have me (born, raised & still living in Illinois!!!)

BabyJ20 said...

Yeah, all but number 1 apply to AL... and really, you just change the city names to Lafayette (no, not like the French guy) or Luverne (it's a long "u") and some others and it's fine... Growing up, Daddy used to always go out and watch the sky during storms/tornados.

Mae said...

Pronunciations:
1. Eww-tul-wha
2.Luh-vern
3.Et-oh-uh
4.Mer-uh-vul

Amy S. Grant said...

Love this! It's so good to be back home where it's all "Coke" and not "Pop".

SG said...

Yes I see Texas and Tennasee have much in common! I remember the first time I heard someone call a coke a soda.... WHAT?

SG said...

OK I took three times of word verification for me to get this one right. wnukfhlijtuosk THAT is what I had to type! Please join me in banning word verification!